So, we still haven’t had the opportunity to hem or line our drapery panels. As per usual, life simply gets in the way! First there was feasting to be done and festivities to be … fested?
We kept it low key and casual which made for a wonderful day. Nothing like having a house full of family around the holidays!
But fear not! We did get one thing checked off our list before life got crazy. The day before Thanksgiving we removed all the existing drapery hardware in the great room and replaced it with electrical conduit. I know, you’re all thinking, “WHAT? Why on Earth would you hang your drapes from conduit?!” Let me explain…
First of all, our existing hardware was broken, ugly, and configured in a way that we couldn’t even open the drapes in a way that made any sort of sense to us. They were on a pulley system that opened them in only two places along that 38′ wall of windows. Why someone would design them that way is beyond me, but to each their own.
When I started looking into new hardware things got pricey really quickly. We needed almost 45′ of curtain rod (including the sliding door on the dining room wall) and even the simplest rods from Target were $20 a pop — and we’d need six of them. So I changed tactics and purchased five 10′ pieces of electrical conduit for $2.42 each. I picked them up at Home Depot — they look like this:
Kirk worked his magic and was able to reuse the existing brackets. As you can see in the photo up there, our brackets held the original hardware from above. He removed each one and reinstalled them facing the opposite way so that they could support the conduit from below. We fed our panels on …
And voila! Now we can open our curtains at each window for maximum light. When the curtains are closed you can’t tell it’s conduit at all. When they’re open it’s pretty obvious that it’s piping, but I rather like the industrial look. If you wanted to try this and preferred a more traditional look it would be a pretty simple process to spray paint them any color you’d like.
Also, for the stand-alone rod in the dining area I simply glued on a finial I found at Ikea (these in silver) with some Liquid Nails — that way you can’t see strait into the tube and it looks a little more finished. The rods on the window wall didn’t need finials since the conduit extends the entire length of the wall. All told, this project cost us only $14 including the 5 pieces of conduit and the finial.
We moved the furniture from the den into the great room for the holiday because we couldn’t have folks sitting on the floor. Our new couch has been delayed — hopefully it will be here by the end of the month.